Going Bananas for Stamps!

tongo banana stamp

Tonga was the first country to issue peel and stick stamps in 1969! They took the squareness out of stamp collecting by printing this banana shaped franking option. There is no lack of this elongated fruit on the islands or on their letters. 


Tonga is the only surviving monarchy among the island nations of the Pacific Ocean. The late king (Tupou IV) was also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the heaviest monarch in the world. He must have eaten a few too many bananas!

22 cool cats commented:

steviewren said...

I love vintage postcards! What a great job you have and to live in France....well I am jealous! Thanks for visiting my blog. Nice to see you over in the States.

Betsy Brock said...

Hi Marie~ thanks for the visit. I've enjoyed browsing your blog here! I have a tiny collection of vintage postcards so I know I will enjoy coming back again and again. I'm going to add you to my blogroll so I can keep track of you! Hope you can make the salsa soon! :)

Lori said...

That third banana image blew my mind. I actually caught myself thinking, "Hey, we've got a banana and a Sharpie..."

Jane Hards Photography said...

One day intend to live in the south of France, with my cartoonist partner, drive around on vepsas etc. Until then I am dipping into the unique world of vintage postcards which is so entertaining and definately bananas!

Pat said...

Tonga! Who'd-a thunk it? I wonder if they invented banana scratch and sniff, too!

MrCachet said...

LOL. That's really a-peeling!

Lowell said...

Hey Marie...I didn't know about Tonga and stick-em stamps or that they had a fat ruler...

So, merci! Nice to hear from you and to have you visit...hope all is well.

Irene said...

I've been missing my posts of postcards, just too much happening. Love your bananas.

Maggi said...

What fun stamps! I wish we had stamps like these here in the US!

Unknown said...

Love these stamps! So much fun! Have a sweet day!

Linda said...

How fun!! Love this and the tidbit of information.

Hope you have a great week,
Linda

Janie said...

Cool stamps. The Tongans had a good idea, there, making stamps more interesting.

Clytie said...

Love the banana postage stamps. I enjoyed your post, and laughed a lot reading through the comments. What a wonderful group of people you have here.

Loni Edwards said...

Wow! Those are some cool stamps Marie! I love reading your posts!

history buff usa said...

Good old Tupou IV probably did eat too many bananas - at 200 calories a pop is doesn't take too many bunches to put on those pounds.

Louis la Vache said...

Well, honey, «Louis» went bananas over your post!

claude said...

Funny stamps ! But are they a banana taste when we lick them ???
Marie, I have some troubles because my age and I have always my lips very dry. I bought a few special sticks which have a banana taste and one with chocolate taste.

Unknown said...

Lively looking stamps! I love bananas - great fruit!

Melanied'Anjou said...

I love bananas!! This postcard is so joyfull and optimistic. Thanks a lot!! All the best
Melanie d'Anjou

Starman said...

How appropriate they used "peel" and stick stamps.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling just checking in to see how you are doing? I hope life is treating you marvelously. Mine was a bit topsy turvy of late, but is slowly returning to normal. I missed your visits and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

That is priceless! Peeling postage...I love that they are the first to have "peel" and stick stamps and that these ones are bananas...since bananas "peel" ...

How fun!
Blessings & Aloha!