Phantom Metro Stations of Paris


This grainy vintage postcard is a rare find. The mustached gentleman is making his way down to what is now called a phantom metro (subway) station in Paris. The stop Saint-Martin was officially closed on September 2, 1939. 

 
The phantom station was recently spiffed up by the Salvation Army of Paris, France. The homeless are sheltered in this antique setting during the bitter winter months. The station still has beautiful porcelain tile advertisements on the walls.


Hopefully warm soup and a bit of old world charm can bring a smile to their face!

22 cool cats commented:

David said...

Marie, I read about the closed Metro stations of Paris but didn't realize that the could still be accessed. I think that the Salvation Army using them for the homeless is a great idea. I was taking some photos at the Jardin des Plantes this spring a saw a group of tents along the Seine used by the homeless. David

Pat said...

When I was in Paris last February, I saw a poster in the car I was riding in about an all-night tour of Paris'phantom stations, complete with champagne, snacks, music. I forgot exactly what it was called, but I want to do it next time!!!

As usual, love your posts.

David said...

Bibi, Thanks for the info. Here's a link to an article about the tours. At the time it was writtn the tours were in French only/\.
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=376286

Katie said...

Cool phantom metro postcard! This is quite near where I stay when I'm in Paris! And thanks Bib and David for the info and links to that tour. I really want go on this tour now!

Katie said...

I just followed your link David, then clicked on the link to the organization in Paris, and read the following: "Depuis l'incident qui s'est produit lors du circuit RATP du 16 septembre 2007, les trains transportant des voyageurs ne sont plus autorisés à passer par les voies de raccordement." I'm not totally sure what this says (although I note that the incident happened on my Birthday!), it sounds like the RATP won't let them do the tours. Am I reading that right Marie?

Marie Reed said...

You hit the nail on the head Katie! Good translation work. I WANT to go on a tour though. I will do my James Bond-like job and find the best phantom metro station option asap. If it doesn't exist I'll have to start a tour myself!

MrCachet said...

It might be a rare find but it's also a great image!

Maggi said...

What a neat card! And I l-o-v-e your new look! Too fabulous!

Beth Niquette said...

I had never heard about this before. How wonderful to find such a rare postcard. I can tell you are excited about it, too.

I loved hearing that this wonderful setting is used for such a great cause in the wintertime.

The homeless are everywhere.

HereBeDragons said...

That is so cool. It's so interesting that there is a hidden history in the streets. Love it.

Irene said...

Great card Marie, love your new look. I was almost sending Leslie on the champagne tour, but alas maybe when she gets there they will be ready to do the tour.

Cezar and Léia said...

Very good that the closed station is giving shelter to some who really need it! Very interesting post!
God bless you!
Cezar

Cezar and Léia said...

Very good that the closed station is giving shelter to some who really need it! Very interesting post!
God bless you!
Cezar

Floss said...

Absolutely wonderful use of the old stations! I've read about how the British used the Tube Stations as wartime bomb shelters - I bet the Sally Army makes it a bit more comfortable, though - just great, thanks.

Mescrap said...

Love the banner that you place on your .com.

icandy... said...

Hello Marie!!
Just checking in on you...I've missed you and hope that you are well!
Hugs!
Christina
xox

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Marie,

Your posts are always amazing! A great way to utilize the closed down station... warm place to stay and a hot meal... especially out of the cold winter wind.
Blessings & aloha!

(I have a blog hug (aka award) for you at my place. I cant wait til Thanksgiving...to see our kids and to catch up on blog reading!) I really try to keep up on yours!

claude said...

Marie.
Your new banner of your blog is very beautiful.
I like very much the first postcard.
Thats is a good thing that an old metro station is used for the Armée du Salut.

Janine said...

What a wonderful place. I had no idea.
Being there must be like a time-warp.

Unknown said...

This is lovely. I didn't realize there were "homeless" stations and that they had this use.

Louis la Vache said...

A homeless shelter! What a fine use of this closed Métro station! Nice to see SA is using it. «Louis» didn't realize the SA operated in France. Good to know!

Phil Beard said...

Just caught up with this one! Métro St-Martin is the Holy Grail for Métro obsessives but only the most fanatical urban explorers ever get access. The survival of the ceramic advertising is a minor miracle. Perhaps RATP could construct glass walls along the platform sides and open it up as a small scale Musée du Métro - since St-Mandé closed there's no Métro heritage on view. Great postcard too!