Wrigley's - The Greatest Name in Goody Land


The William Wrigley Jr. Company originally sold soap and baking powder. In 1892, the company offered a free pack of chewing gum with each can of dry chemical leavening agent. The chewy confection became more popular than the baking powder so Wrigley smartly reorientated the company. Wrigley's quickly became the greatest name in goody land!vintage retro ad

13 cool cats commented:

MrCachet said...

The 'Y' in you, the expression on the young boy's face, and the look of satisfaction on the little girls face - Ad art at its best.

Betsy Brock said...

"Sealed Tight..Kept Right" ....I don't remember that being their slogan!

Juicy Fruit...now I haven't had that in years..that's one of those tastes that would take me right back to my childhood!

Postcardy said...

That's a nice ad design, but I think the copywriter got too carried away. To me, the idea of equating gum with goodies is disgusting.

This just made me remember the gag I had when I was young: offer someone a stick from a fake gum package and when they try to pull out the piece a spring hits their finger.

Beth Niquette said...

I loved wrigley's chewing gum when I was a kid. These days it doesn't taste the same. (sigh)

A lot of things don't taste the same--like snickers and Three Musketeer bars.

Wonderful advertisement! I love the lineart, and the expressions on the children's faces. Mahvelous!

Christine said...

I wouldn't have noticed the great "Y" had it not been for MrCachet's comment. It is wonderful. I liked that gum that had the colorful stripes...don't remember what it was.

Pat said...

I love what I learn on your blog. Never knew this about Wrigley's!

A said...

Very cool info. Love the post.

Clueless in Boston said...

Great info and a wonderful post as usual. I've always been a Wrigley's gum fan too: Doublemint or Peppermint for me.

Starman said...

I miss being able to chew gum.

Lowell said...

I've been chewing Wrigley's for 67 years! Well, more or less. I really haven't chewed gum for a long time...but Wrigley's was the gum of my childhood...Doublemint Good.

Love the card!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Great card & facts!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

This is the SWEETEST little drawn advertisement!

I have been so MIA since working full time doing hygiene... but happy to get some blog reading in again!

Blessings & Aloha!

Also want you to know I have an award (aka bloghug) for you at my place. Even if you are an award free blog, please take a peek to see what it's for! You deserve this one, dear friend! I do appreciate you stopping by and Thank you for all your past comments.

Clytie said...

I agree with MrCachet - ad art at its best!