Coventry True Blue



The expression 'true blue' derives from the blue cloth that was made at Coventry, England in the late middle ages. The town's dyers had a reputation for producing cloth that didn't fade with washing. The color remained fast and true!

John Ray wrote in the first edition of a Compleat Collection of English Proverbs in 1670:

"Coventry had formerly the reputation for dying of blues; insomuch that true blue became a Proverb to signifie one that was always the same and like himself." 


Related Article: Madanno and True Blue Cumin Powder

26 cool cats commented:

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I had never heard the definition of "true blue" and loved this post! Thanks so much! Have a great day! Coralie

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Who knew...about true blue?
Now... I do :o) (corny, but true!) (ok, ok. I need to stop with the rhyming!)

Oh one more...

Here's to you...who is true blue!

Blessings & Aloha!

xxx said...

True blue!

thanks for that piece of information... lovely to know as it is an expression often used here in Australia.

best wishes
Ribbon

Janie said...

Interesting to hear the derivation of the term. I like the silvery blue dress shade on the postcard.

Mescrap said...

Such informative post !!

Music said...

Very pretty! :)

Susan said...

How lovely. I never knew this & I do collect this sort of information. So thanks! Many of said this of me & I knew it was a compliment, but now I know the origin. And with that immodest comment:)

You post the most wonderful items & information.

xoxo

Christine said...

And you said the British came up with the word bumbershoot too...so, they must have had true blue bumbershoots.

Starman said...

Aw, that's just a picture of you in a blue dress.

Pietro Brosio said...

Beautiful postcard, the background is a pleasant soft countryside.

elsa said...

interesting- i love trivial information!

Clueless in Boston said...

It does look like it might have been you posing in a blue dress with your hair up:) Nice bit of trivia too.

Tussy said...

Your card can match my collection too, I've got true pink :)

Nice one, I like it.

You Got A Posty
All Little Things I Like

Irene said...

I think I'm going to start writing all this down, you are always so filled with info.

The Little Miss said...

this is beautiful....I could stay at your blog all day...love it!
If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

This is beautiful...and thanks for telling us where *true blue* came from. :0)

Scatter Bliss...
Stephanie

Pat said...

Ah, another bit of trivia for me; love it, love it.

Anonymous said...

Just watched an episode of the TV show Vegas (season 2), where they used the "true blue" expression regarding Mary, the girlfriend of the returning US marine Danny (one of the lead characters). Nice to know the expression's origins.

Cezar and Léia said...

C'est magnifique!

and ...sooo romantic!
Léia :)

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I never knew that.

Beautiful postcard!

maryt/theteach said...

Marie this is such a lovely postcard and thanks for giving us the origin of "true blue!" :)

Melanied'Anjou said...

Never heard of it! Thanksfor sharing with such an interesting fact. You say it derives from late Middle Ages cloth?! I love Middle Ages!!:D

Cheers and hugs
Mel d'Anjou

Unknown said...

That's a good reputation to have :))

Clytie said...

I guess I never thought about the expression before. How neat that there is a story behind this expression.

Ana said...

Beautiful postcard. I love the elegance in it as it seems like it tells the story well. :)

I love the context of your blog.

SLLiew said...

Wow... I love your blog of vintage postcards. It is so different from mine which is rather current and commercial touristy postcards, LOL.

I have a big challenge to complete my France UNESCO WHS postcards. Hope you can help through private swaps.

Merci. Cheers, SL :)
email: smspenang@yahoo.com