Bewitching Mint Leaf Flavor


Here is yet another gummy tidbit. In June 1974, the first bar code scanning equipment was installed in a little grocery in Troy, Ohio.What was the first product to ever be scanned? It was a 10 pack of Wrigley's juicy fruit gum! The package is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.

Here are a few more sticky posts!

Dubble Bubble Trubble
Meatloaf and Wrigley's
The Greatest Name in Goody Land

30 cool cats commented:

maryt/theteach said...

Hi Marie, my PFF is up!

Postcardy said...

All I want for Halloween is CANDY!

Irene said...

I love Halloween, almost more than Christmas.

Snap said...

Great card, Marie. I remember the announcement on television about how the bar code would make everything much faster at the store, but we still have to watch to make sure it is the price we think it is! I'll take gum for Halloween! :D :D

dmarks said...

A chewriffic postcard!

dmarks said...

Mary, which in your long list of blogs is the real one? I wanted to find the PFF entry.

Aimee said...

Oh, what a great card! Makes me ready for Halloween right now!

Janie said...

Cute advertisement and interesting bit of trivia, too.

Christine said...

I tried to find a postcard related to gum for PFF. The closest I could get was something that had to do with Marie and bubbles!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello dear Marie,
this postcard is really funny and cute!
I like gummy!
Léia

Margo said...

Marie - I just woke up and I have morning breath. I think I belong in the smithsonian. Must get some of this. How do you celebrate Halloween where you live? Are you all well? MISSED YOU. xoxoxo

Linda said...

That's a fun tidbit of information and as always, love the postcards! :)

steviewren said...

How do you find out this stuff? Love the cute card and the gum.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!

Sorry to be so late getting my post up.

One of those ridiculous thing you remember (I do anyway)- your post reminds me of a TV program I once saw with a man who could read barcodes. He could look at a barcode and tell you the product. How bizarre! How did he find out? Why did he?

Beth Niquette said...

Wow--who would have thought? I didn't realize they'd started that so long ago. I really love the background information you give. This is wonderful.

claude said...

Everyday after lunch I shew a gum.

AnitaNH said...

How cool is this! I just read about you over at Old Paper Art. What a coincidence that today I published some post cards from my old home town of Beverly, Mass. Thanks for letting me link up.

Janine said...

What a great treat you have for us.
Thanks Marie

Chuck Pefley said...

Thanks for the reminder of simpler times past. Those trick'r-treaters are great, and I sure did like Wrigley's Spearmint!

Clytie said...

I love this cute bright card! I remember the dire predictions regarding the first barcodes -- "It will never work. Nobody will ever use them. A waste of money". How times have changed.

Liz Mays said...

That is just the cutest!

Starman said...

I don't remember that. Is it new?

Barb said...

Hi Marie,

Thank you for stopping by and signing me up. I loved Juicy Fruit as a kid.

Lovely blog, I am going to be following along.

hugs,
Barb

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I adore the little girl and her mask! What a treasure this post is for us costume lovers! Happy Happy!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Bewitching mint? lol, how cute!

Giulia said...

So sweet. This reminds me of my grandfather who always had Wrigley's on him. I never really liked chewing gum but the first few moments. But it pleased me no end that it was available...& from whom.

Big Hallowe'en fan here, too, as would seem with your fellow PFF. Perhaps in the new year, I can start. Looks like lots of fun.

Have a wonderful weekend (to everyone)...

ciao-meow

dizzymslizzy said...

My favorite gum from childhood was Black Jack - licorice flavored gum. I found some at the little superette around the corner and couldn’t believe it - also available on the shelves was borax soap for your dispensers. Remember 20 Mule Team Borax? Am I dating myself?

Maggi said...

That is too cool that the gum is in the Smithsonian! lol

elsa said...

this one is really nice one. do you actually have this one and scanned it? you have an amazing collection i know but do you actually have every single one that you feature on here?
i hope to participate in post card friday soon.

Mike said...

Yea. She totally needs to kick back and chew on some of that gum, lol.