Rainbows, Arkansas, and the Ozark Medieval Fortress



The etymology of the word 'Ozarks' is a subject of speculation. It has been suggested that it's a linguistic corruption of the French "aux arcs-en-ciel," which means "toward the rainbows" Apparently the spotting of Roy G. Biv* is quite common in the mountainous regions of Arkansas. I'll surely see one when I visit the Ozark Medieval Fortress!  

* Roy G. Biv - This stands for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. That's how I was taught to memorize the order of the colors of the rainbow in school:)

Be sure to visit the official Ozark Medieval Fortress Site at:

french vintage postcard rainbow

11 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Marie, you never cease to amaze me with your trivia! First of all, 'aux arcs' never occurred to me, and now Roy G. Biv will always remind me of the rainbow's colors.

Clytie said...

My kids remember Roy G. Biv, but I never learned it until they came home from school one day with it.

I hope you have a wonderful day today!

Lola said...

How very interesting!

x LOLA:)

Janie said...

I've been to the Ozarks many times, but I never knew this possible derivation of the name.
The medieval castle post below is fascinating.

Clueless in Boston said...

It looks like that brave soldier has found his pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Irene said...

Roy G. Biv won my son a lovely Trivia award, he is a cesspool of knowledge. Love your Ozark post.

CaraBee said...

I learned Roy G. Biv as a kid, not sure whether it was from my teachers or parents. Interesting that the word Ozarks might have come from French! I just love etymology.

Cara
www.blog-trotting.com

Mark said...

I have been to Ozrk many times but i never knew the possible name derivation

Postcardy said...

I never learned the Roy G. Biv phrase until now.

Beth Niquette said...

How cool is that? I had NO idea Roy G. Biv could be used to memorize the colors of a rainbow.

Wonderful postcard, by the way!

ByLightOfMoon said...

Your trivia enlighten's me knowledge of the place I grew up, Actually just north of the Arkansas border in Missouri near Branson, but in the OZarks!

Smiles, Cyndi