Dog Tired

 
  
Dog tired is an old English phrase. It derives from an old tale of Alfred the Great who used to send his sons out with his extensive kennels of hunting dogs. Whichever of his sons, be it Athelbrod or Edwin, were able to catch more of the hounds would gain their father's right hand side at the dinner table that evening. These chases would leave them 'dog-tired' yet merry at their victory!

25 cool cats commented:

Postcardy said...

Sweet dreams!

steviewren said...

Well you posted a very appropriate postcard then! Sleep well.

Paul van Yperen said...

A beautiful card. Happy PFF!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

That's how I feel - and I'm on my way out to work! :)

Pat said...

"Bibi" is sometimes dog-tired... Today, for example. Thanks for the origin of this phrase!

Check out Seattle cartoonist Gary Larson's interpretation right here.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee
«Louis» had wondered how that phrase originated!

AnitaNH said...

Good morning, Marie and happy PFF! Hope you slept well.

Snap said...

You had me searching again, Marie! But I found a good one! Dream On! Happy PFF!

Aimee said...

That's how I feel this morning!

Love the background info on "dog tired"

maryt/theteach said...

Love the colorizing on this black & white postcard, marie! :)

Sherrie said...

Hi Marie,
Cute postcard! The little girl looks totally out of it. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life

Irene said...

she looks like I feel. Great Card Marie.

Sandy said...

Beautiful Card! sweet dreams sleep well

Ragamuffin Gal said...

She looks like a way younger version of me right now... wore out from all my creating and living right now! Blessings!

viridian said...

Happy PFF!

I'm Just a Southern Girl said...

How cute is that! Love it so much. I'm looking forward to postcard Fridays!

Stacey said...

I entered my blog address wrong on the first entry! So sorry... I added a second one to fix the first. Please erase the first one... Thanks so much and happy PFF!

Beth Niquette said...

I adore this lovely postcard! What a darling little girl. Sweet dreams, indeed! It's a tiring job to be a kid, eh? (Grin)

Vivianapachecofineart said...

Ohhh, that's how I feel right now, Dog Tired, after chasing after 5 little ones all day. What a lovely postcard, thanks for sharing!

Stacey said...

Just love this postcard- The ones featuring children are some of my favorites. I also love the tinted photographs.

peggy gatto said...

Your postcard is just darling!
Mine is of a little girl who is not sleepy yet!

Mary said...

There certainly are a lot of dog expressions: dog tired, three dog night, doggone it, dog days of summer, dog day afternoon, my dogs are tired and so on and so forth!

Janine said...

Thank you for that explaination.
Thats a sweet postcard too.
Have a nice week
janine

Elisabeth said...

I love snuggling up with my dogs for a quick snooze on a Sunday afternoon...which is what I did yesterday! They both fall asleep anytime and anywhere - hence dog-tired.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Aw! How sweet is this one!!!! Been a wee bit dog tired from work and also the marathon week of posts about how my hubby and I met, got engaged, married, and played an unexpected joke (although almost back-fired on me!) ....so it is so nice to have a few days off...

Here's to lots of fun and relaxation to you in Germany :o)

Blessings & Aloha!