That Old Chestnut



This little lady from the Limousin region of France is busily cracking open chestnuts. I often make bread with chestnut flour. It's naturally sweet and doesn't grow stale as quickly as a baguette. Chestnuts are also surprising bursting with vitamin C!

 

Chestnuts used to be a common food staple in the United States until the chestnut blight fungus of 1904 devasted the population. 4 billion American chestnut trees died within 40 years. That makes me want to plant a chestnut tree in my backyard!

19 cool cats commented:

Loni Edwards said...

Oh I would love to try some bread made with Chestnut flour! Have a great day, Marie! :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have never tried chestnut flour. I would imagine it is difficult to find and probably quite dear in price.
I did know a woman once who had a chestnut tree in her yard and she brought me some at Christmas time.

Marie Reed said...

I'll have to look up the prices of Chestnut flour in the States. Here in France it's not expensive at all. It's not popular to make bread with though because it doesn't rise in the same way as other breads. I like it because it's sweet without the sugar:)

Postcardy said...

If I had a tool like hers, maybe I could crack open chestnuts without mangling them.

Sparky said...

That sounds heavenly! I doubt we could find chestnut flour here since I think they only grow in Europe now. :)

Hopemore Studio said...

Marie, I love, love, love your blog. I only had a few moments to peek through it now but I'll be back.

Angie

islandgirl4ever2 said...

You know,

The marroniers here seem to have been affected by this sort of blight in the past few years.... I've really noticed that!

Anonymous said...

I am now fixated on chestnuts - I must have some! Hopefully they will come pre-roasted as I have no open fire – just large radiators.

Carmi Cimicata said...

I just bought a brand new cool chestnut cutter today! How strange that your blog was about chestnuts!

Starman said...

Hmmm, I've never tried opening a chestnut. I wonder how difficult it might be.

Lisbonlife08 Antiques Collectables said...

In Portugal, more precisely in the Algarve region,
is used to accompany the pork with chestnut puree true delicious!
Pleased to meet you Marie,
Happy New Year to you and your guests!
Lisbonlife08 Antiques Collectables
Fabio

Blogaire said...

So THATS how you crack them open! I was in Portugal last year and they were selling them on every street corner, they just loved them.

Janine said...

Thats one of the best things in winter.
Hot chestnuts!!
AWWWW!!!
Dear Marie,I wish you and your family a happy, healthy and joyful new year.
Janine

MuseSwings said...

I've enjoyed chestnuts just a few times. They're difficult to find here. I always thought they were a European treat, and didn't know the US blight info til now. Happy New Year, Marie!

Elisabeth said...

Chestnut flour has a wonderful earthy nutty flavor to it - with a mountain of recipes to choose from. Yum!

Beth Niquette said...

There are chestnut trees in the grass between sidewalk and houses in the town where I live. I have no idea what to do with the chestnuts. I know people used to eat them--Hmmmm....maybe I'll have to do a little research and find out what to do--you know, "Chestnuts roasting by the open fire..."

I wonder what they taste like?

Time to find out, I think!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yummm! Roasted Chestnuts sound good, right about now!

And you amaze me! Chestnut flour...hm...sounds like something to try out.

Blessings & Aloha!

Suburban Girl said...

Very interesting and I love the photos

Joni said...

Interesting info about chestnuts.