God Save the Queen


Here's a glimpse of a London in retro postcard form to go along with these snazzy Union Jack chucks I just found online. I must have this flag footwear!


I always assumed that the name 'Union Jack' was a fond and very specific nickname for the British flag. But apparently flags have been called 'Jacks' since the late 1500's. It's was a generic term denoting any bit of cloth flying in the wind! Yep. I'll be humming 'God Save the Queen' as I strut around in these babies.

32 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Yay, first to comment! I love these shoes, too!

Happy New Year, Marie. Am back from my Indian adventure and ready to blog again.

Marie Reed said...

Bibi!!!! ennoB eénnA! Welcome back from India. I can't wait to check out your pictures!

Karen said...

Gorgeous card, nice match with the sneakers! Maybe a t-shirt silk-screened with the postcard on the front would be a nice match? ;)

Starman said...

Love the chucks.

Cate said...

I love those chucks!! Off to see if I can find me a pair!

Marie Reed said...

That sounds like a nifty ensemble Karen

I guess I should be wearing snow boots in Paris right now Bob!

Cat - Go get 'em girl!

Profile Not Available said...

These are outstanding! I want a pair!

Clytie said...

Cool shoes! And great old postcard.

Christine H. said...

Those are great. I bet you could buy a snow shovel attachment for today's weather.

HereBeDragons said...

Love vintage postcards.

I have some UK flag undies I bought in London.

Janie said...

Interesting info about "Jacks." The shoes look like they'd be great for a game of basketball.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Fun footies! I can't help but imagine a vintage-style fashionista (such as the darling ladies you have on your header)...and then a glimpse down at their tosies and tah-dah! those little numbers peeking out :o)

Blessings & aloha!

Lola said...

Lovely images - though in London & the rest of the UK currently snow boots would be warmer!!

Happy New Year to you & all Postcard Friday blogpals!

xlol LOLA:)

Postcardy said...

Let us see a picture of you strutting around in those shoes.

Maria said...

Nice streetscene on the postcard, just made for walking in those shoes.

MuseSwings said...

Blimey! LUV the shoes! Thanks for the info on the Union Jack - great post!

Elisabeth said...

Marie,
Love - love - love the shosies. They would definitely add some color to the snowy ground in New Hampshire. Never seen the like!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I have a very similar card of Picadilly Circus which I was going to post, but the freezing cold weather has won the day!

I've never seen shoes like that before!! Probably not the thing to wear in the UK. :) You're right about the Union flag and so few people know that. The Union Jack supposedly is the name given to it by the Royal Navy when they are at sea. Then when they are in port they call it a flag again (without changing the actual flag). Very strange, but then so many traditions are.

AnitaNH said...

I want to wish Marie and all the other postcard bloggers a Happy New Decade from AnitaNH. (Great shoes!)

grace said...

Great post card and the shoes are so funny. Happy Friendship Friday

Candy said...

Love that fashion statement footwear...I wonder if it comes in an American flag?
Happy to be a part of today's PFF celebration, it's been a while for me.
Happy New Year wishes to ya! ;-)

Aimee said...

Beautiful card! And I love those shoes!

Snap said...

Wonderful card and sneakers! You have me visiting the New York Public Library for postcards!!!!! :D :D :D

Inday said...

More Memes for me! I am a mad collector of postcards and I have lots of them.... I would be glad to share them in the future.

For now, am grabbing your badge so it will give me a reminder to join by next Friday!

thanks for this cute meme. Stamps, postcards, notes, coins, junk? lol

them i have aplenty,

great old postcards give us a glimpse back to the past....forward!

Terry said...

Howdy Marie

Happy PFF to you :)
Love the shoes !
The postcard is fabulous as well.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Happy Trails

viridian said...

Good grief I put my post up and forgot to link in for 7 hours! Argh!

Stacey said...

Love your new shoes~What fun! I just love Union Jack images- The pillows with them on it are just fabulous.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» had no idea about the etymology of 'jack'!
Très intéressante!

Blogaire said...

I am not too sure about the shoes Marie but I just love the card, there is so much happening in it. It must be from around 1920 or a little earlier judging from the clothes and from the trams, cars, etc. I am really curious about the year so if it's on the card you might put me out of my misery?

peggy gatto said...

OOPS, I almost missed this!!!
http://wwwpeggysamusement.blogspot.com/2010/01/postcard-friendship-friday.html

Unknown said...

Yeah, you can stomp around in this special pair of shoes!

claude said...

Hello Marie !
Beautiful shoes !
Reaaly I love the vintage postcards.