Thank You Librivox!



I found a fabulous free audiobook resource! Volunteers over at Librivox.org read and record books books that are in the public domain. The selection is endless and also includes foreign language texts.  Books in French, Urdu, Ancient Greek, Church Slavonic, and Tagalog (I've never even heard of that one) are all up for grabs in MP3 form.

 

I'm currently reading, listening, and bumbling through  'La Femme de Trente Ans' by Balzac. It's a big help to hear the pronunciation of each and every word. I'm hoping that some of the vocabulary will get stuck in my wee brain:) Have fun!
librivox.org

13 cool cats commented:

molly susan strong said...

an't wait to just get my fill of all your fun and interesting info. I will use to inspire my art!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Love the idea, Marie. I once had a satisfying period of listening to audio books...actually I was recovering from an illness but the books were such a comfort. Thanks for the link. Just love to see your cheerful face! Happy New Year! I hope it brings you (and your family) much joy and success.

Giulia said...

Thank you for this most welcome news, Marie. Best wishes for a happy new year!

xoxo

Susan & GG

Beth Niquette said...

How wonderful! I remember when cassette tapes were still the norm, and I would listen to them as I worked around the house. That was years ago, and today's books which can be uploaded into one's Ipod are so wonderful!

Are you going to be doing PFF? We did so miss you last week!

((hugs)) You are an inspiration Marie. I look forward to PFF every Friday! Your blog is such fun!

marc aurel said...

What a great idea. I can't wait to get home and do some listening and maybe some recording. Is the organisation French?

Geralyn Gray said...

wow....I never fell into the whole ipod thing......this is an interesting thought especially if I used it in my car for my hour plus commute to work.....thanks for all that you share. Wishing you all the best in 2010.....Bonne Anne!!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Christine H. said...

What a great resource. I will definitely check it out. Thanks and a very Happy New year to you and your family. Wow, 2010!

papel1 said...

I have never done audio books but might give it a try. Maybe one in French to see if I remember any of my high school French. Happy New Year.
Judy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ah! How neat! And Tagalog is the national Philippine language, although there are many, many dialects in the Philippines.

I also wanted to say to you dear friend... :o)

Happy New Year! or in Hawaiian:
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (sounds like "How..oh-lee...Mah-kah...hee-kee...Ho!" ...your Hawaiian pronunciation lesson for the day :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
(It's been great to be able to catch up on my blog reading :o)

ChaChaneen said...

Happy New Years Eve Marie! You'll be celebrating very soon too. I've got over 12 hours to go!

I enjoy Librivox too! Some narrators are hit and miss but I've found several I enjoy and listen to books all the time while I'm at work and just to fall asleep too. Like a kid, I enjoy being read to as well! My current favorite is Karen Savage reading Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice!

Blessings to you and your family in 2010~

maryt/theteach said...

Marie, my PFF post is up... I'm looking forward to yours. Happy New Year and all the best to your family! :)

Elisabeth said...

I started listening to books on CD's about a year ago and am hooked for life. I can't wait to get in my car each morning for the long commute and find out what is going to happen in the upcoming chapters. Currently listening to Oliver Twist - fantastico! Not only entertaining but educating!

Lois Simon said...

This is great -- Merci for the link to their site.