Peanutbutter cheese Vintage Postcards


This lovely goat herding vintage postcard siren would like you to try a true Corsican delicacy. This cheese was banned in France for being too ripe, stinky, and putrid. But you are adventurous and enjoy trying new and exotic things, right?
U casgiu merzu translates as 'rotten cheese.' One leaves a nice fresh goat cheese in open air during the 'ripening' process.


The idea is to attract as many flies as possible. The cheese becomes a cradle for eggs and the maggots which will aid the cheeses eventual fermentation process. A true
U casgiu merzu may writhe with life for up to ten years before consumption. It has the consistency of peanut butter and is best... left to the locals. Yuck!



Moral: Don't trust lascivious goat herders who offer you cheese! Stick to collecting vintage poscards. The smell won't haunt you for the rest of your days.


Please subscribe here to my cpaphil - vintage postcard blog. Ohlala, I can't wait to see you again!

7 cool cats commented:

Starman said...

Yuck pretty accurately describes this "delicacy". You will never find it in my pantry.

Starman said...

BTW, did I ever thank you for removing that ridiculous code thing? If not, merci, merci et merci!

Millhill said...

Okay...that was pretty gross!! But the baby goat made up for it! What a sweet little thing...I might have to go dig out my baby goat photos and blog about them.
I enjoyed this!

Blog Bee said...

hahahaha! This is an awesome post! It has everything. Food, grossness, education, animals, cuteness, sexy ladies. And entertaining writing. Eeeeeeverything!

Pat said...

Oh, I absolutely love every French goat cheese I've ever eaten, from crottins de chevre to rouleau de chevre, but thank you, thank you for the warning about this one. Love has its limits.....

Paul Mitchell said...

I must say that this "cheese" sounds very nasty. Fermenting anything with maggots simply turns my stomach. The French disallowing the process is the first good thing that I have ever heard about France.

Thanks for the comments at my blog. I'll try to keep from trashing France too badly from now on.

Anonymous said...

Lips that touch maggoty cheese shall never touch mine!