French Hot Air Vintage Postcards


Parc Monceau, Paris 1797 -

It's a bird, It's a plane, no ... It's Andre - Jacques Garnerin! The gutsy Frenchman, pictured on this vintage postcard, jumped out of a hot air balloon with a dainty silk parachute. After the hot air balloon had risen to 3,000 ft (900 m) he waved to the crowd and hopped out of the nest-like wicker basket!.

He flew erratically and frighteningly too swiftly. He thankfully landed about a mile off in front of an admiring public. André developed the vented parachute after this particular flying experiment. The vents slowed down descent and made skydiving a bit less dangerous.

The word 'parachute' actually comes from a French word with a Latin root. 'Para' means against in Latin. 'Chute' is the French word for fall. Therefore, parachute actually means 'against the fall'.

I think that I'll bring a few parachutes and G.I. Joe's to Parc Monceau the next time I visit. I'll let them sail through the sky in honour of Monsieur Garnerin whom I'm sure would have also have liked vintage postcards.

Please subscribe here to my cpaphil - vintage postcard blog. Ohlala, I can't wait to see you again!



3 cool cats commented:

Starman said...

I think there is a place just outside of Paris where one can take a hot air balloon ride.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Monsieur Garnerin was a brave man to test his invention personally from 3,000 feet! His very invention helped the real GI Joes in the Normandy landing against Hitler... did you know the allies actually dropped big GI-dolls on parachutes with fireworks that went off when they hit the ground to confuse the German soldiers? Viva la France!

B said...

Another great piece of whimsical history. I love the idea of taking little parachutes and GI Joes figures to Parc Monceau! How wonderful and absolutely, Monsieur Garnerin seems like the kind of person who would appreciate vintage postcards and this lovely idea! :)