The Cat's Out of the Bag

 
  
In medieval England, piglets were sold in the open marketplace. The seller usually kept the pig in a bag, so it would be easier for the buyer to take it home. But shady sellers often tried to trick their buyers by putting a large cat in the bag. If a shrewd shopper looked in the bag - then the cat was literally out of the bag. That is where the expression came from!

31 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

I'm hopping on a train to Germany in 3 hours! I should probably go pack:) Happy PFF everybody!

Vivianapachecofineart said...

Oh that is a cute one, that kitty looks caught in the act!!

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Oh what a cute kitty. New to the site trying to feel my way. Love making or decorating handmade postcards.

Herself said...

Fun! I'm linking!

Postcardy said...

Cute card and fascinating trivia.

maryt/theteach said...

Happy PFF, Marie! Enjoy Germany! Mine is up everyone! Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Herself said...

Help! When I signed for for Mr. Linky, it too me to a very old page of mine that has nothing to do with postcard Friday!

studioJudith said...

You are so full of fascinating
tid bits ... .
love this!
Jjj

LiT Web Studio said...

i never knew that! great card and perfect anecdote...happy PFF!

Christine H. said...

Have a great time in Germany!

AnitaNH said...

Germany by rail sounds very romantic! Happy PFF and Valentines day, too.

Irene said...

Great card, have a good trip. I hope this is a romantic getaway.

steviewren said...

Now I know where that phrase originated. I love stuff like that. Cute postcard too.

Artsnark said...

fantastic! Will have to pop back when I have a bit more time. Great Meme

Jenn Erickson said...

Wow, this is phenomenal. You have such a beautiful blog and I'm always happy to meet a fellow aficionado of vintage postcards!

Paul van Yperen said...

Delicious postcard and story. In Dutch we know the expression too: Een kat in de zak kopen - To buy a cat in the bag. Never knew where the expression came from. Thanks, Marie.

Pat said...

I knew this before, but you have to be pretty naive to mistake the weight of a cat for that of a pig...even a very large cat and a small pig.

What's that expression....? There's one born every minute...?

:)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

That would teach you to buy a pig in a poke! :) I would prefer the cat I must say. Your little kitten looks not unlike my two.

Aimee said...

Adorable card! I love cats!

grace said...

What a cute post card. Love the kitty and the jewelry box.

MuseSwings said...

What a great response to PFF today! I love the card. Enjoy your visit to Germany!

Diamond said...

Love the postcard and love the history. Thanks.

Janine said...

What a darling card,
have a lot of fun in Germany (are you celebrating Karneval?)
Have a great weekend
Janine

Stacey said...

What an interesting tidbit of information! And this postcard is fabulous...

Holly Lefevre said...

Just discovered this through designing dna and I love it!
Holly 504 Main

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, wishing you a lovely weekend and a love filled Valentine’s Day.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Louis la Vache said...

Bonne Valentin à vous!

claude said...

Pretty car, Marie. Beautiful jewellery box and so cute kitty.

Unknown said...

Give me a cat and let it out of the bag!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

and love to learn origins of words and phrases!
Blessings & Aloha!
(yay! a few days off from work, so am catching up a little on my favorite blog reads... I have housework organizing and drawing orders to get to too :o)

Anonymous said...

So cute little kitten. I just found your blog. I have started collecting old postcards last month. My english is not very good, so I dont´t understand anything about that Mr.Linky. Thre are also pictures of old magazines in my blog.