Canary Island HIstory


Twittering little canary birds are obviously named after the Canary Islands. But the island's name came from the Latin canariae insulae which means 'islands of dogs.' Apparently the island's inhabitants all owned ginormous tail - waggers! It was originally an island famous for being full of fidos and not birds!

46 cool cats commented:

vincibene said...

Wonderful card, I love vintage postcards!
Ich könnte stundenlang in Deinem Blog stöbern.
Thanks for visit!

Natalie said...

What a fascinating collection you have , Marie.
How did you get started?

Love the little girl's curls in this one. :)

Mamapippa ... said...

Those are beautiful cards, what a collection !
Have a nice day !

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time they coloured monochrome.
I imagine the postcard industry has taken a battering since digital.

GMG said...

I love this blog! Amazing!!

Blogtrotter

EG CameraGirl said...

I like this postcard with its tiny bit of colour. I think it would be fun to collect vintage postcards. ;-)

Pat said...

Bibi, of course, knew that the islands were named for her fellow canines. I like this postcard---never had any luck with taming birds, though.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Fascinating sweet image. Strangely there is an island of the UK called "the Isle Of Dogs." Not so pretty.

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi Marie.love the Canary Island story.I do love the vintage postcard.You have such interesting things here. Hugs Marie Antionette

ChaChaneen said...

Lovely card! I like the hair accessories!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Beautiful card! Love the fascinating fact behind it too!

Mojo said...

Interesting little factoid there. I wouldn't have made the connection even though anyone who knows me can tell you I'm an obsessive dog fancier.

Who knew!

Daryl said...

Is she snorting that bird?

Nice and fun old postcard ... but I am worried about the budgie

Catherine said...

Hi, I love your blog. I want to give you the Lemonade Award for a blog with best attitude and/or gratitude! For more info, check out my blog at www.livingthegourmet.blogspot.com!
Happy Posting!

Mimi Lenox said...

I am so glad you stopped by my blog. I am sooo into vintage postcards too! YAY! Wonderful to meet you. What a beautiful blog you have here.

grace said...

i wonder if i could get my hair to look like that gal's...it's a rockin' hairdo. :)

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, you have really an attractive collection of fine cards!

sribbler said...

lovely and attractive collection

Retro Heather said...

That is beautiful! Suitable for framing!

French Fancy... said...

I'm a dog nutter and I didn't know that. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful postcard. And I didn't know that about the canary. I love old black and white movies, and last night I watched one called Birdman at Alcatraz. It was about a prisioner that raised birds and took care of them.

Devon Coles said...

So, which is 'the little charmer' (la petite charmeuse)? Sweetie pie, or tweety bird . . . Oh, wait! It's the whole card; a charmer indeed.

Starman said...

This is the biggest response you've yet drawn. Imagine if you had put up a picture of a cat or a dog.

Sparky said...

And all this time we thought the Islands where named for birds?! That is too funny!
The little girl looks like she's using a canary as tweezers, doesn't she? LOL Ouch, ouch, ouch ...
PS: I have a neck surgery date - February 4th (Wednesday). Thanks for the prayers! God is good and things are falling into place. :o) ♥ ∞

Joe Narvaez said...

Wow! I really love this one. Where do you get these amazing cards?

Ming said...

I love canaries!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Thanks for the history lesson and the cool card. Now if you can only figure out how the cat caught the canary we'd be set. Many Blessings from snowy/icy Missouri!

angelandspot said...

What a lovely card. It is so pretty.

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Love the canary you have the most amazing vintage postcards on your blog.

Postcardy said...

I always assumed that the islands were probably named after the birds.

Chris Overstreet said...

#57! An astounding achievement worthy of a gift: http://bit.ly/9IbxHP

steviewren said...

That's an interesting tidbit of information. It's a pretty card as well.

Paul van Yperen said...

Another great animal card and another sweet story. Thank you Marie.

Pat said...

Long live the Island of Dogs! Bibi was thrilled to learn this, but I had known. Never told her for fear she'd want to move there....

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Gorgeous card, and lovely story. I think it lingered somewhere in the depths of my mind, never to emerge again, if it hadn't been for you!

dmarks said...

That's a nice postcard with a tweety bird. Happy PFF!

claude said...

What a very beautiful old card, marie.
The little is very very pretty. I love her hair style and the bird too.

Margo said...

what a sweet postcard. I some think that hair do would be easier to achieve on me and my daughter's than the flat iron look. And for all I knew the canary islands were named for the bird. miss you! hope you are doing well - I'm emailing you on facebook about my new project, I'd love your input on! xoxoxo (don't let those xo's frighten anybody :)

LiT Web Studio said...

i had the same thought as babooshka - it made me think of the isle of dogs in east london - far less romantic! a great card and another snippet of history...happy PFF!

Irene said...

Beautiful card, and such a lot of knowledge. Love canaries, but then so does my cat. Happy Friendship Friday Marie.

MuseSwings said...

Very nice! Those are such bright little birds. The phrases "I'll make ya sing like a canary" and "you look like you've just swallowed a canary" came to mind as I was reading.

AnitaNH said...

Hi Marie. Lots of comments today!

I had a canary when I was in grade school. My younger sister had a turtle and she once tried to feed it song food because it wouldn't sing!

Happy PFF!

Joy said...

A tweetie and a sweetie. Great card, how useful Latin is in understanding what words really mean.

Vivianapachecofineart said...

What a sweet picture!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! You have shared so many wonderful postcards...this one has to be one of the most precious postcards!

Blessings & Aloha!
I have something for you...and even if you have had this one given to you already...just know that I was thinking of ya! Please come and take a peek at what it is...

Kris said...

What a great website! Subscribed to your feed. Found you via the Follow Me Club at MBC. Please come visit me at http://nobirthcontrol.blogspot.com. Thanks!!