Braille Letter "W'


I'm learning braille and noticed the the letter 'w' doesn't have a logical dot position in relation to the other letters. Apparently the letter was added later in 1914 by Americans. Louis Braille didn't encode the letter when devising his ingenious tangible alphabet in 1821 because the letter didn't exist yet in French dictionaries!

27 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

I'm so sorry that I'm such a late girl! I'm studying braille like a mad woman for a National Library of Congress certification course and forgot that it was Friday!

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Marie, that's okay if you are late the information about the postcard well worth the wait lovely postcard.

LiT Web Studio said...

fascinating...i live in italy so am used to languages with a whole load of letters missing ;-)
happy PFF!

Postcardy said...

I don't know French, so I never knew that French didn't have a "W."

Snap said...

Great card, Marie. Thanks for the info, too! Happy PFF!

Lola said...

Marie, fascinating information. Here in Spain we have extra letters unlike in some other countries!

Lovely postcard.

Have a great weekend,

LOLA:)

Vivianapachecofineart said...

Wow, that's a cool little bit of history! The Spanish alphabet has extra letters.... when I came to Canada, I was very confused. Cheers!

Lola said...

When I wrote "letters", I meant letter combinations to form different "sounds!

Put it down to jetlag! (Just returned from Far East!)

xLola:)

Linda said...

What a great thing to study (of course I had to work a W in there). And thanks for hosting this blog party every week, Marie.

Clytie said...

What a beautiful card! The tints of pink are beautiful. And I had no idea about the Braille letter "W"!

Aimee said...

Very interesting! Latin didn't have a "w" either. Good luck with your studying!

Janine said...

Hi Marie,
it is incredible, you have almost 1000 followers.
If you find the time you are more than welcome to join the blogaversary- giveaway and to get the award on my blog.
Have a great weekend
Janine

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks for the lesson, marie! Mine is up! :)

Kymberly Decker said...

Beautiful Card!! Thanks for sharing the history about the Braille Letter "W"!! Very interesting! I, too, didn't know that the French didn't have the "W" letter!!

I love this group! I learned so many fascinating things today! It's really great that everyone takes the time to share the history of their card!

Thanks, Kymberly

Tarnished Rose said...

Great card! My link had disappeard (I've been participating for weeks now), so I went back and added it. This is fun!

Smiles~
Marilyn

steviewren said...

I'm totally impressed with the fact that you are learning Braille. Best wishes in this endeavor. Marie, you are certainly an interesting woman.

Sparky said...

Who knew that "W" was such a picked on letter. All "W"s of the world, stand up and Unite! [giggle] That's a very pretty postcard. Hope you're doing well and staying warm this winter my friend.
Sparky :)
My Thoughts Exactly
The Reluctant Patriot

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

There was a Braille commemorative stamp relatively recently in France. I didn't know about the letter W, but it seems logical! :)

peggy gatto said...

You always show the most interesting cards!!
Thanks!

papel1 said...

Good luck on the braille, sorry I have missed a few PFF but either I was RVing or doing other things. Was gone yesterday so missed this week.
Judy

Irene said...

Great card. I love it.

Unknown said...

Good luck with braille!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

wow! You truly amaze me! How neat that you are learning braille! Fantastic!

And as always your facts are awesome!
The Hawaiian language has only 12 letters...5 vowels and 7 consonants.

Blessigns & Aloha!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

oops! I noticed my typo after I hit the publish button!

I meant to type: Blessings! :o)

Have a wonderful weekend!

kRiZcPEc said...

I love this postcard. :)

Louis la Vache said...

That explains why so few words that begin with a 'w' are in French dictionaries....

Cynthia Pittmann said...

No W! My husband would be endell, with no "W"! What a great project to learn Braille!