The History of Tinsel


Tinsel in its modern form was invented in Higham Ferrers England in 1843, and was originally made of shredded silver.  
According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary the word is from the Old French word "estincele", meaning sparkle. 



21 cool cats commented:

Irene said...

Wow imagine all that silver on your tree. My cat doesn't allow tinsel. Great card Marie as usual. Thanks for stopping by to see my turtle.

Maggi said...

Ooooo I love finding news ways to say "sparkle"! lol Love this card!

Rainey J. Dillon said...

all that twinkly silver like les etoiles dans le ciel! Very pretty old card.
Rainey

Clytie said...

Oooooh! Sparkle! I love Sparklies! But, sadly, our cats don't allow tinsel either. Maybe someday?

Janie said...

Interesting history and derivation. Funny that's I've used the stuff all my life and had no idea.

Linda said...

I adore all things silvery and sparkly. :) Thanks for the interesting information and the beautiful card.

Pat said...

I remember putting tinsel on the tree when I was a kid. They don't sell it here, isn't that odd?

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Possibly the only thing Higham Ferrers is famous for! :) I had no idea where it all started - you live and learn.

Starman said...

So now we know. Isn't the internet a wondrous thing?

Betsy Brock said...

shredded silver....wow, that's amazing!

Sparky said...

Sparky loves sparkle!! Great history lesson pal. :)

Louis la Vache said...

You neglected to mention that 99% of the tinsel output of Higam Ferrers, England was exported to Hollywood, thus the name "Tinseltown."

An' dat's a fak, Jack, cuz ol' «Louis» made it up himsef....

claude said...

Interesting, Marie !

Elisabeth said...

I gave up on tinsel for the tree a long time ago. My husband and daughter would wait until my back was turned and throw it on the Christmas tree in huge bunches. Shame on them!

MIG said...

I always love to find out where things started from. -Victoria from MBC Follow Me Club

Mescrap said...

Thank you for the history of the Tinsel.
I think a Christmas tree will be looked shine with the Tinsel.

Christine said...

Tinsel is sort of like Easter grass; it's really a test of your vacuuming abilities. If you're not really fastidious, you'll be finding that stuff for months. I love it anyway!

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks, Marie, for the info about tinsel! :)

Beth Niquette said...

No kidding! I had no idea. Putting the tinsel onto the tree when I was a kid, was one of the things I always looked forward to.

One can hardly find tinsel anymore, and I don't use it on my own tree...I do miss the shivery, sparkling whispers of tinsel on the tree.

Julie Marie said...

Hello Marie... merci for visiting me at my blog by way of Marie Antoinette... she is such a sweetheart! Your blog is wonderful... I will be back to visit again soon... Bisous... Julie Marie

Duchess of Tea said...

My darling I wish you and yours all the joy, love, hope, blessings, peace, laughter, miracles, good health and boundless wealth during this holiday season and always.

Love & Hugs
Duchess